Health12/04/1368 Years of Diabetes HealthRichard Vaughn, who was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes in 1945, shares his inspiring story. Via Advocacy11/25/13T2 AwareLearn how to contribute to a new campaign to raise awareness about type 2 diabetes. Via a sweet lifeTechnology11/19/13Tech SurveyDiabetesMine has created an original infographic showing the results of their Patient Voices survey on diabetes technology. Via DiabetesMineLifestyle12/03/13Turning 30A DOC member explores how living with diabetes prepared her for a milestone birthday. Via a sweet lifeHealth11/22/13Athletic Benefits?Researchers are studying whether former endurance athletes have a lower risk of developing T2 diabetes. Via SmartbriefBasics11/21/13A Novel IdeaMike Hoskins of DiabetesMine talks to the creator of a new diabetes graphic novel. Via diabetesmineAdvocacy12/02/13A Cool December!What’s happening this month – online and offline – in the diabetes community. Via Advocacy11/18/13Honor RollSee the list of volunteers honored by American Diabetes Association for their outstanding contributions to diabetes advocacy. Via ADA
Did You Know?
- To help avoid airport security delays, travel with a letter from your doctor that outlines the details of the medications and devices you need.– via University of Alabama Birmingham Comprehensive Diabetes Center
- Diabetes is one of the first diseases ever described; a mention of it was found on an Egyptian manuscript from c. 1500 BC.– via The Ebers Papyrus, Original research
- Musicians Patti LaBelle, Aretha Franklin, Nick Jonas, and Tony Bennett all have diabetes.– via D Life
- French artist Paul Cézanne, famous for his still life paintings, had diabetes.– via D Life
- Following an exercise program that includes both aerobic activity and strength training may help manage blood sugar levels more effectively than one type of exercise alone.– via National Diabetes Information Clearinghouse (NDIC)