Diabetapedia definition: A nurse practitioner (NP) is a nurse with a graduate degree in advanced practice nursing. Depending on the state, a NP is allowed to provide a broad range of healthcare services, which may include:
– Taking the patient’s history, performing a physical exam, and ordering laboratory tests and procedures
– Diagnosing, treating, and managing diseases
– Providing prescriptions and coordinating referrals
– Promoting healthy activities together with the patient
– Performing certain procedures
Some nurse practitioners work in clinics without doctor supervision. Others work together with doctors as a joint healthcare team.
The health information contained herein is provided for general educational purposes only. Your healthcare professional is the single best source of information regarding your health. Please consult your healthcare professional if you have any questions about your health or treatment.