Grilled summer vegetables tossed with minced grilled lemon slices make a simple and deliciously tart accompaniment to salmon. Try grilling a double batch of the vegetables and enjoy them the next day in a salad.
2 medium zucchini, cut on the diagonal into ¼-inch slices
2 cups cherry tomatoes
2 (¼-inch) lemon slices, seeded
5 teaspoons olive oil, divided
4 (5-ounce) skin-on salmon fillets
½ teaspoon salt, divided
¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, divided
2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1. Preheat an outdoor grill to medium-high heat or set an indoor grill pan over medium-high heat.
2. Place the zucchini, tomatoes, and lemon slices in a large bowl; drizzle with 1 teaspoon of the olive oil and toss to coat. Brush the salmon with 2 teaspoons of the remaining olive oil; sprinkle with ¼ teaspoon of the salt and ⅛ teaspoon of the pepper.
3. Place the salmon, zucchini, and lemon slices on a grill rack or in a grill pan coated with cooking spray. Grill, turning once, until the fish is opaque in the center, the zucchini is crisp-tender, and the lemon slices are lightly charred, about 3 minutes on each side. Place the tomatoes on the grill (try using an outdoor grill pan or skewer the tomatoes), and grill, turning often, just until skins begin to blister, about 1 minute. (If using an indoor grill pan, grill the vegetables and lemon slices in batches first, then cook salmon.)
4. Place the vegetables and lemon slices in a large bowl and the fish on a serving platter. Cover the fish to keep warm.
5. Transfer the lemon slices to a cutting board and finely mince; return to the bowl with the vegetables. Add the basil, lemon juice, the remaining 2 teaspoons oil, remaining ¼ teaspoon salt, and remaining ⅛ teaspoon pepper and toss to combine. Spoon the vegetables around the salmon and serve at once. (Remove the salmon skin before eating.)
Each serving (1 salmon fillet and 1 cup vegetables): 234 calories, 7 g carbohydrate, 11 g total fat, 2 g saturated fat, 53 mg cholesterol, 2 g fiber, 26 g protein, 294 mg sodium
Carbohydrate choices: 1/2
Exchanges*: 3 lean meat, 1 vegetable, 1 fat
Jackie Mills is a registered dietitian who develops recipes for such national magazines as Cooking Light and Family Circle, as well as for books such as the American Medical Association Type 2 Diabetes Cookbook. She was formerly the food editor at Redbook magazine. Mills is a paid contributor for The DX. All opinions contained in this article reflect those of the contributor, and not of Sanofi US, its employees, agencies, or affiliates.
© 2013 The DX: The Diabetes Experience